Pizza originated in… you guessed it, Italy. Considered a flat bread, the simple and pure ingredients of yeast, salt, flour and a little olive oil are humble, yet paired with their toppings of choice, make this one dish wonder and number one favorite among Americans!
In the quiche blog, when I mentioned the things that I normally have readily available in my pantry (or refrigerator) at all times, crushed tomatoes, to make a quick pizza or spaghetti sauce is also one of them.
The only draw back for most, in making a home-made pizza, is the time involved and being afraid of all things made with yeast. Its easier to buy it from the store (with tons of salt and preservatives..Boo!!) or its even easier to purchase it through your favorite pizza house -well, not so bad to support local businesses, but boring, boring if you are looking to set a new standard for your family!
Today is your day to make pizza in no time flat, without yeast and plenty of time to spare. This crust is super easy and is in and out of the oven in about 20 minutes from the first measure of flour to the table.
While I will always prefer a yeasted pizza crust when I have the time, this one is our favorite alternative in my home, as the kids can get it started themselves…yes! Now that is smart baking!!! Enough said.
- Ingredient list: makes 5-6inch pizzas or 1 14" round
- 3 cups PMGB's whole grain bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups of luke warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 385
- 1) Into a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt, mix well.
- 2) Next, with mixer on low speed, slowly add the water & oil to the dry mixture. Mix until combined, then turn out onto a well floured work surface. the dough will look a little shaggy and sticky, but that is what you want more than a dry dough. You should be able to work with it. If not add a little more flour, but not to the point of becoming too dry.
- 3) knead the dough for a bit, then roll out or press out with your hands, the crust to desired thickness and shape.
- 4) Top with toppings of choice.
- 5) Place Pizza(s)in pre-heated 385 degree oven for 12-16 minutes for a smaller 6-9" version and 20-25 for the larger 14" pizza.